Sure, signing up for a gym is a positive step toward your health and fitness goals, but what do you do when you want to cancel a membership and start somewhere else? When you move or start a different fitness regimen, a gym membership at Planet Fitness may not make much sense. After all, Planet Fitness is a great gym for beginners, but serious lifters may find it seriously lacking in heavy-duty equipment.
Plant Fitness advertises their no commitment memberships, allowing you to cancel at any time. Unfortunately, many of you have probably tried to cancel with no success. Before you even try to cancel your membership, check to see what type of membership you have. While the $10 per month plan is commitment free, black card members not only pay double at $20 per month, they are also locked in for a year.
While you can sign up for a membership online, you can’t cancel online. The cancellation process is a bit more complex than a simple online notification.
The 5 Knockout Steps to Guaranteed Planet Fitness Membership Cancellation
- Call your home club to ask about cancellation policies. While most clubs operate the same, some states have different requirements, so get all the information before you get started.
- Go in to your local club to tell them of your intent to cancel. Most clubs allow you to cancel in person with photo identification. Simply go up to the front desk, present your ID and let them know you want to cancel your membership. It may take several days for the cancellation to process, but that should be all you need to do.
- If you no longer live locally, you will need to send your cancellation in by mail. Many clubs do not accept cancellation by facsimile, since they demand an original signature. Sucks, right?
- Regular mail is not enough. Instead of sending a letter out regular mail, you will need to go into the post office to send the notice via certified mail.
- Follow up is crucial. Even with a written notification, it is a good idea to follow-up with Planet Fitness. Cancellation notices are not always processed in a timely manner, which might cause you to be billed for an additional month.
Making customers jump through hoops to cancel is in direct opposition to their no-fuss advertising campaign. One of the big marketing pieces for Planet Fitness is their no contract membership option. What good does a no commitment option do if you are still billed once you cancel? Many gyms have inconsistent billing policies and consumer complaints by the hundreds. Google any gym plus the word scam, and you will definitely find multiple hits.
Avoid paying any more than you should, by finding out all the fine print when you sign up. Remember, the easiest way to cancel your membership is in person. If you forget, it could take weeks or months to get everything straightened out. Before you move, or sign up for a new gym, make sure your old one is cancelled. Most gyms offer same day sign up, but very few offer same day cancellation.
If you have had an experience either way with Planet Fitness or another gym, share it! I’d love to hear your story and compare it to my poor experience.